What I Love About You Garland
Do you ever get to the point where you are feeling grouchy and you want to change it? I’ve been feeling that way a bit lately, so when I started working on a heart garland, I decided I wanted it to be a little more than just a pretty something to look at. I wanted it to be a reminder of what I love about my family.
During November it seems like Thankful Trees are a big hit. I loved mine this past year.
So why not have a What I Love About You Garland where you write down all the little things you adore about your family?
This garland is serious easy to create and quick as well. I’ve made them in the past with 3-year-olds and they had a blast, and you will too.
- 2 sheets of designed paper (although plain colors would work well too)
- Large heart punch
- Tab punch
- Sewing machine (or if you don’t want to sew, you’ll need baker’s twine and a stapler)
- Gold pen
- To start, I punched one sheet of paper using the heart punch (the whole sheet).
- Punch the second sheet of paper using the tab punch. Fold each punched tab in half.
- Alternate the heart and tab pieces as you feed them through the sewing machine (or staple them to the baker’s twine)
- Write something you love about a family member (or the family as a whole) on each heart or tab.
So now every time I look at my garland, I catch a glimpse of something I love about my children and husband. And if I’m short on patience that day, I can look for the offender’s endearing qualities and think about them instead of the mess they just made. I definitely have a long way to go!
And next year, when I pull it out, I’ll have a good reminder of some of the cute things going on in my kids’ life right now. Like the way Brynley says “sweetheart” and how Saige has adult conversations about color with the random ladies in the fabric store. Because really these moments are fleeting when they’re so young and I’ll probably forget half of the cute things they say and do if I don’t document them somehow.
Get updates and news from Mabey She Made It delivered to your Inbox and automatic entry into the monthly giveaways!