Are you ready for the Fourth of July? It’s coming so quickly, and it’s such a fun holiday to celebrate with outfits, food, and decor. Today I’m sharing a super quick patriotic skirt that you can whip up for all your girls–and pull out your fun trim–that’s what makes this patriotic skirt so much fun!
I always love seeing lots of fun red, white, and blue ensembles on the Fourth. It’s so fun to be dressed all festive and celebrate our freedom, our independence, and our nation. But what if you don’t have anything red, white, and blue? Here’s a fun idea!
Whip up a quick basic skirt with patriotic trim and you’re set! This skirt took me probably 20-30 minutes to make, and I’m pretty slow. It’s also a perfect beginner project, so even if you don’t sew often (or at all!) this is a great place to start. It doesn’t take much and it’s not confusing–promise.
Patriotic Skirt Instructions
I wrote a detailed photo tutorial for making a basic skirt so I won’t go into all the details here, but please click on over and follow the tutorial if you get stuck. I’ll just run down the main points here since I’ve already written out the long version.
- Cut a long rectangle that’s: (2 x your waist measurement) by (skirt length + 2 inches for hem and casing)
- Sew the short ends together with fabric right sides together, and finish your seam with a zigzag stitch or serger.
- Hem the skirt bottom and make a casing for your elastic (they’re basically the same process, just one on top and one on bottom).
- Thread your elastic through your casing, sew the ends together, and close up your casing.
- Sew some cute patriotic trim around the hemline for a fun pop of color.
Pair it with a red, white or blue shirt and you’re ready for the big day!
Omygoodness what a great idea (one of those duh! why didn..lol) One could do that with many different colors -red/white/blue as the
main color and then the strip…Okay off to the sewing machine !Thanks for the idea!!!
There really are a hundred options. 🙂
Cute skirt. Wish I could shrink my kiddo to wear one.
Ha! You don’t have a shrinking machine? They grow so quickly!
This is an adorable patriotic skirt! I would love for you to link up to the Stitch It, Blog It, Share It Link Party going on now at BehindtheSeamsSewing.com.
Thanks Bonnie!And I’d love to link up. I’m always looking for sewing link parties. What day and time does it start?