Sometimes you get to do something truly special with a family treasure, and I’m so loving this vintage suitcase table makeover. This suitcase belonged to my great grandma, and it was the suitcase she brought to visit when my mom was born. It’s my mom’s, but the other day I noticed it sitting behind a chair looking a bit lonely, and I just wanted to pull it out.
She also had this little side table that kind of blended in with everything and wasn’t really contributing much to the overall look of the room. But when we put them together, I knew we had something special.
Vintage Suitcase Table Makeover Supplies
- Side table
- Americana Chalky Paint (Primitive and Carbon)
- Americana Creme Wax
- Drill and screws
- Paint a light coat of Primitive paint on all the corners and edges of the side table, and let dry.
- Smear a little petroleum jelly on any corners or edges you want to be distressed.
- Paint two coats of Carbon all over, and let dry.
- Sand the corners and edges, and apply the creme wax. Buff when it’s dry.
- Screw the suitcase to the top of the side table.
And with just a little bit of effort and elbow grease (buffing is hard work!), I couldn’t be happier with this family treasure.
It’s truly beautiful, and it showcases this vintage piece in an effortless way.
These photos definitely make me think about Downton Abbey, too. And since today is the season premier (in the US) I’m joining several other bloggers with their Downton Abbey inspired projects. So make sure you check out some of these other fun projects!
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…