Have you ever found the perfect dress only it’s just a bit short? So frustrating, right? Well it happens to my lovely sister (pictured above) a lot since she’s a fabulous 6′ tall.
And since my brother’s wedding was this past week, we needed to lengthen this dress from Shabby Apple just a bit.
Lengthen a Dress with an overlay (or any dress for that matter)
- Find some fabric to match the skirt. If you dodn’t have an overlay, you can choose a contrasting color for a fun color-blocked look or go with the closest match. Make sure the fabric you pick is the same color and washing instructions as your fabric. You don’t want to have a washable dress but a strip of dry-clean only fabric on the bottom–that would warp when you washed it!
- If you’re trying to save all the original length you can, unpick the original hem at this point.
- Determine how much length you need/want to add. Then cut two strips the width of the hem (plus 1/2″ for a seam allowance) by the length you need to add (plus 1/2″ for seam allowance).
- Press one edge of both pieces up 1/4″ then do it again another 1/4″ so the raw edges are completely hidden.
- Put the right sides together of both your pieces and sew the short sides of the two pieces together on both ends to make a big circle that should be the same size as the bottom hemline of your dress.
- Sew along your pressed edge all the way around to create a new hem.
- With your hemmed piece and your dress right sides together and with the raw edges together, start pinning. You’ll want to make sure the side seams are lined up at this point.
- It’s time to sew your added length to your dress! Make sure the raw edges are together, and sew all the way around your dress.
- Now press those seams and you’re ready for the wedding (or whatever you’re wearing your newly lengthened dress to)!
Using this technique for lengthening a dress is a great way to add length and extend the functionality of your dress!
If you like this sewing tutorial, you might also like these:
The Secret to Hemming Curved Edges || The Secret to Gorgeous Gathers