A couple of weeks ago I guest posted over at See Vanessa Craft and today I get to bring home another fun Halloween idea. This DIY treat jar is quick to make, uses things you probably already have around the house (except maybe the knob), and could be easily adapted to any time of the year.
Good morning! I’m Lisa Mabey from Mabey She Made It, a DIY, craft, and sewing blog. I’m so excited to be here today sharing a fun Halloween project with you.
I don’t now what it is about Halloween, but I have a VERY narrow aesthetic for decor. I don’t like scary; I don’t like macabre. I don’t like cartoony; I don’t like cutesy. I like what I’ll call Romantic. This made-up-style a bit classy, mostly black and white, and a bit untraditional (i.e. it could easily pass as not-Halloween decor). With candy corn thrown in because I love it.
And with that disclaimer, I introduce my Halloween DIY Treat Jar.
It’s really easy and simple, and yet the result looks quite refined–it doesn’t even need to qualify as Halloween decor!
- A mason jar or an empty jar (cleaned and with the label taken off)
- Black spray paint
- Black lace
- Crystal knob
- Double-sided sticky tape (the strong stuff)
- A drill or nail and hammer
Let’s Get Started:
- Clean and take the label off your jar. If your jar has some glue residue on it, try a little peanut butter on it and rub it in until the oil breaks down the adhesive–then wash it off!
- Spray your jar lid using your spray paint, and set it aside to dry.
- Adhere the lace to the jar using the double-sided adhesive.
- Tie the ribbon around the jar, and place a little adhesive behind the knot to keep everything in place. Trim your ribbon as desired.
- Drill a hole in (or pound a nail through) the middle of the lid then screw the crystal knob into place.
- Fill it with treats!
It’s something that I can call Halloween decor, but really I’ll use it year round just because I like it. You could even put it on a little pedestal and it would look so elegant with white butter mints in it…Okay now I need white butter mints…
I hope you had fun making a Halloween DIY Treat Jar with me. And I also hope you’ll come visit me at Mabey She Made It or follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google + and Instagram!
Somedays one just goes DUH ! why didn’t I think of that and this is one of those crafts ! Thanks for jogging my brain for Halloween ideas !!
🙂 Glad you like it, Diana!
Cute idea! I like the simplicity and how you could easily use throughout the year and not just in October.
Absolutely–that’s it’s best quality. 🙂
This is such a simple but pretty idea. I love you suggestion about putting it on a pedestal.
All cute things deserve a pedestal. 😉
I love this fun little project! Great job!!! PINNED!!! 🙂
Aww, thanks Michelle!
such a cute idea! Love it
I agree with you – I am a great fan of the “romantic” look of Halloween.
It’s such a fun look, and timeless. 🙂
Super cute girl. I love anything jars!
Super super super cute!
I want to make this DIY project.